Tips & Tricks by Daphne
On this page you will regularly find new information about how to draw and paint. The text and images below can be downloaded for free in the right column.
Tips & Tricks 03
Proportions of the face.
It is always useful to know the proportions of the face. Especially if you draw portraits. You can use these proportions as a guide when drawing or painting a face. Remember to keep looking at your model or photo, because everyone is different.
1. Start by drawing an oval.
Divide it in half with a line. This is the line to place where the eyes.
2. Usually the chin sticks out slightly and the head is a little flatter at the top. Draw the outline over the first oval. Note: sometimes people have a small chin. The outline does not have to stick out as much as in the example.
3. Draw the eyes on the eye line. The distance between the eyes is usually the same as 1 eye.
4. Now divide the head into 3 equal parts
5. The bottom of the nose is usually on 1 / 3rd of the face. The ears are usually the same size as the distance between the top of the eyes and the bottom of the nose.
6. The mouth is usually located halfway between the bottom of the nose and the chin. If someone has a long chin, the mouth is usually located slightly higher.
You can also draw the line that runs from top to bottom in the middle of the head. You can then determine the location of the eyes, nose and mouth even better.
Good luck drawing faces! Greetings from Daphne.
Tips & Tricks 02
Drawing a nose can be quite a challenge. It would be realy smart to take an afternoon to practice on the nose only.
It is important that you draw the shadows of the nose properly. So first try to understand how a nose is shaped. For example, look at your own nose in the mirror and feel with your fingers how it is shaped. Then you can better determine where you should and should not draw the shadows.
Follow Daphne's steps and watch the picture below.
- Draw the basic shapes of the nose
- Draw the tip of the nose as a ball. You can also indicate the nostrils as a ball.
- Define the bottom line of the nose, which runs along the nostrils. You can also indicate the nose bridge with a thin line.
- Now color in the shadows.
- You could trace you sketch now and make the nose realy neat.
Try drawing noses in other positions too.
And also draw different types of noses.
After another 1 or 2 afternoons of practice, you will be an expert on drawing noses.
You can now free download Daphne’s sheet on drawing noses at ‘Free Downloads’
Have fun and see you soon!
Tips & Tricks 01
How To Trace A Drawing
Your drawing can become very messy when you erase your pencil sketch and continue drawing on the same pape.
You better trace your pencil-sketch on a clean paper.
What you need:
- drawing paper
- painter's tape or other type of adhesive tape
Tape the sketch on a window. You need some daylight, so do it during the day.
You can also stick your sketch on a glass table with a lamp underneath.
Now tape a clean drawing paper on top of the sketch.
Because the daylight shines through the paper, you can clearly see the lines of the sketch. Now it is easy to trace the correct lines.
You can finish your drawing on this clean paper .